This, for me, is a sauce from heaven. There is so much you can do with it. Slap it on some fresh fish before you grill it or bake it, add it to cottage cheese and cook it in a thick-bottom pan or cook it with potato straws to create a mind-blowing starter. The Sweet Chilli Garlic Sauce has always been my last-minute super sauce to charge up any meal. Yup, I’m known to throw some of it onto chicken popcorn too!
You could buy this sauce in any super market, but I prefer to make my own, for the only reason that the ready-made sauces are loaded, and I do mean LOADED, with sugar. When you make your own, you need to make sure it is cooled before you store it in an air-tight bottle and refrigerate it. Shelf life for a home-made sauce, without preservatives, is about 15 days.
Sweet Chilli Garlic Sauce
Cooking time: 10 minutes
- 1 cup white sugar (I use sugar free)
- 1 cup water
- ¼ cup fresh tomato puree
- 1/2 cup rice wine vinegar
- 2-3 cloves garlic, peeled and finely ground
- 4 to 5 Thai Birds Eye Chillies, dried and ground
- 1.5 tablespoons cornflour mixed with 2 tablespoons cold water
- Pinch of salt
- Combine all the ingredients (except sugar free if making a sugar free version of the sauce) and let it cook down till the sauce is shiny and thick. (Add sugar free to taste).
- Cool and bottle. Store in a cool and dry place. Can last for a good fortnight in the refrigerator.