I love burgers. And cheese stuffed burgers were the signature dish at my second restaurant. We would make them with different meats and veggies always experimenting with the flavours and textures. Soon stuffed burgers were the only way these patties could be made! I wasn’t surprised when my parents requested for them for a celebratory meal to mark their 51st anniversary. Though the family had chicken burgers, my sis is following Lent and was a vegetarian! And she wanted mini veggie burgers!
Can a mini burger be a slider? There are various schools of thought. One says a slider has to have beef and another differentiates it based on size. Anything smaller than 2 ounces can be a slider. I go with the second school of though and will call it a slider!
Just like my burgers this one too was built up in 5 layers the greens, grilled tomato, grilled onion, veg pattice, sauces and the crusty bread. What’s more I am a fan of healthy food and these burgers are a big step away from the potato pattice, it’s high on veggies and is earthy!
Time taken: 30 minutes
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
Skill level: Basic
Serves: 6 adults
Equipment needed: Skillet, Oven
- 1 large sweet potato, boiled
- 2 potato, boiled
- 1/2 cup boiled broccoli
- 1/2 cup mix of corn, diced carrots, zucchini, par boiled
- 2 cheese slices
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onions
- 2 tablespoons tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons home-made sweet chilli garlic sauce
- 2 tablespoons mustard
- 1 tablespoon home-made barbecue sauce
- 2 tablespoons home-made 10 herb mix
- 8 mini burgers. sliced into 2 halves
- 2 onions, sliced
- 2 tomatoes, sliced
- 1/2 cup bread crumb
- 4-5 leaves of iceberg lettuce
- Salt and pepper to season
1. In a skillet, fry the onions till caramelised. Add the barbecue sauce and fry till well browned.
2. In the same skillet fry the tomatoes. When they loose their firmness add the salt and pepper.
3. In the same skillet fry the finest chopped onions till they are brown in colour.
4. Mash the potato and sweet potato when hot. Add the veggies and mix well. Do not break the veggies down completely. They should retain their texture.
5. Now add the 10 ingredient barbecue mix and season with salt and pepper as needed.
6. Make the pattice, coat it with bread crumb and cook on a well-greased skillet till the sides are golden brown.
7. In the same pan toast your mini burger breads till crisp.
Place your mini burger bread on a flat surface. If you wish to butter your toast you can do it now. Place a leaf of iceberg lettuce, onion and tomato and spread some mustard and tomato ketchup mixed with sweet chilli sauce on it. Place your pattice on the sauce. and slap on a cheese slice. Top with the second half of the bread. Arrange 4-5 sliders on a plate and serve hot!