When strawberries are in season, my fridge is always full of them. They go into my protein smoothie, in a pie, as a sauce with meats, into a spinach, onion and strawberry salad and now into these super crunchy chimichangas–inspired by Pinterest.
It’s not often that a deep fried product comes out of my kitchen. Actually except for the indian pakoras and festive time puris nothing sees oodles of oil. But this one time I decided to sin on a Sunday afternoon! Blame it on the luscious berries.
- 2 cups self rising flour
- 200 grams butter
- 30-40 medium sized strawberries
- 100 grams brie
- 100 grams of cream cheese
- 2 teaspoons of cinnamon powder
- 100 grams caster sugar or 6 packets of sugar substitute
- Oil to fry
1. Make a short crust pastry using the butter, flour, half the cinnamon powder, half the sugar and cold water.
Cover and place in a cold place for 30 minutes.
2. In another pan take thinly sliced strawberries, brie, cream cheese, rest of the cinnamon powder and sugar. Mix well such that everything is well combined.
3. Cool for 2 hours.
4. When the pastry dough in cold take it out of the fridge and divide into 6 or 7 equal portions.
5. Roll each portion out into flat discs. Remember to keep them atleast 4mms thick.
6. Place the strawberry mix in the centre of the disc and close it up into a package.
7. Half fry these strawberry packets immediately in hot oil.
8. When ready to serve, fry these Strawberry Chimichanga in very hot oil again. This will crisp up the pastry.
9. To serve, slice the chimichanga into 2 pieces and arrange in a serving dish. Dust icing sugar and cinnamon powder. Serve with chopped strawberry and sweetened dipping cream