For the last couple of weeks, I’ve been on a make-a-new-salad-a-day kind of regime. Some of these recipes have found their way here and the others were gobbled up before I could take any pictures. This Watermelon, Feta, Lychee and green salad was hidden in the cooler were a good part of a hot summer afternoon…and this helped the flavours develop. Try it.
Watermelon is one of my favourite fruits. Add to it my second and third favourites and you have a meal. I am still not to sure if it’s the saltness of the Feta or just the flavour that makes me go completely mental..but I love Feta. In fact I can eat a whole big fat chunk of it, yum… This salad has always been my favourite. I’ve made a feta, watermelon, iceberg and basil salad for many many years now, and that kind of got me thinking, what could i add to it, to help enhance the flavours. That’s when lychee’s came visiting. Skinned and de-seeded, it absorbs the flavours beautifully. I’ve tried to stay away from expensive ingredients and made into a salad that can be devoured any day.
- 1/2 a watermelon chopped into 1/2-inch pieces
- 6-7 lychee, skinned and de-seeded
- 4×4 inch slab of feta, cut into pieces or crumbled
- 6 to 7 leaves of iceberg lettuce, torn by hand into bite size pieces
- 6 to 7 basil leaves, rolled and chopped into thin slices
- 2 teaspoons of sweet chilli sauce
- 1 teaspoon of balsamic vinegar
- Salt and pepper to taste
1. In a large bowl toss together the greens, watermelon and lychee and basil leaves
2. Mix in the marinade and salt and toss well.
3. Sprinkle the feta on top and cool well.
4. Crack some fresh pepper before serving.