I am back to my salads and soups diet. And each meal is becoming intellectually stimulating before it end up satiating the taste buds…a couple of minutes of surfing and I zeroed down on 3 salads to toss-up! A quick to the market, yes I buy for the day, like my veggies as fresh as I can get, and all plans went for a toss! No quinoa. No blueberry. No peaches. I ended up making a 5 Greens, Smoked Almonds and Feta Salad and this Sweet Potato and Pomegranate Salad that was served with a Sweet Chilli Garlic Paneer and Mashed Potato.
Ever since I realised that the GI of sweet potato boiled in its skin is only 45 this root has become quiet a hot favourite in my kitchen. I don’t quiet understand the science behind it but if you bake say 150 grams of the same root the GI increases to 90+! Am sure it’s something to do with the caramelisation of its sugar or the change in the starch structure. But cut the complex science out and try this salad out at home. It’s perfect for diabetics. Teams well with a pan cooked Paneer or even grilled chicken
Time taken: 40 minutes
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 10 minutes
Skill Level: Basic
- 150 grams of sweet potato
- 100 grams of pomegranate pearls
- Handful mint leaves
- Salt and pepper to season
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
1. Boil the sweet potato in its skin for about 10 minutes. Over cooking will destroy its structure and you will end up with a pulpy mash
2. Wash and keep the mint leaves aside.
3. When the sweet potato has cooled down, skin it and chop into cubes.
4. In a large bowl combine the sweet potato, pomegranate pearls.
5. Squeeze the lemon juice and season with salt and pepper.
6. Chill the salad and serve with some fresh mint.