I’ve often wondered what makes a salad special. Is it the mix of ingredients, textures, flavours or an amalgamation of all of these together? Or is it farm fresh ingredients and a sweet-salty-sour dressing? I’ve still not got my answer to that one, but this salad with grapefruit, pomegranate and a bit of roasted nuts, seems to be the perfect answer to a hot day!
Time taken: 10 minutes
Preparation time: 5 minutes
Skill level: Child-friendly
Serves: 2 adults
- 1/2 cup grapefruit
- 1/4 cup pomegranate
- 1/2 cup mix of bell peppers, chopped fine
- 1/4 cup onions, chopped fine
- 1/4 cup cucumber, chopped fine
- 8 to 10 cherry tomato, halved
- 1/2 cup of iceberg lettuce
- 1/2 cup of coarsely ground nuts (you can use one of the Tong’s snack packets too)
For the vinaigrette:
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons soya sauce
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
1. Mix the elements of the vinaigrette together and let it cool.
2. In a bowl mix together the washed, chopped greens and let it cool.
3. Just before serving. place all the greens in your serving dish. Mix in the vinaigrette. Mix well. Taste and adjust seasoning. Sprinkle the crushed nuts on the salad and serve immediately.