It’s been a while since I last posted…blame it on the festive season and the need and demand to eat fried unhealthy stuff! Though I did do my bit to promote diabetic friendly wholesome meals and flavours, in the fight of traditional vs modern, traditional took the cake!
Till I got back to my kitchen and made this glorious moist sticky prune cake.
Anyways, this cake has been specially made for my dearest hubby. It has everything he likes, and I like to feed him, prunes, coconut oil, dark chocolate and a lively peppering of some seeds and walnuts. What’s more it’s simple and does not call for many technical processes.
Time taken: 1 hour
Cooking time: 30 minutes
Preparation time: 30 minutes
Skill level: Basic
Equipment Needed: 8×6 inch cake tin, hand-held mixer, food processor and oven.
- 1 cup prunes (make sure u get the pitted sugar-free version)
- 1/2 cup apple juice
- 4 eggs
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon vanilla essence
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 tablespoons chocolate powder
- 1/4 cup sugar-free chocolate chunks
- 1/4 cup organic palm sugar ( I’ve used sugar-free powder )
- 100 grams of walnuts
- 2 tablespoons mix of flax seeds, white sesame seeds and sunflower seeds (optional)
1. Cook the prunes in the apple juice till they absorb all the liquid and are plump.
2. Pre-heat the oven to 180 degrees.
3. In a glass bowl place the chocolate chunks and melt it in a microwave. 40 seconds is all it takes. Take a dry spoon and mix it so the chocolate takes on a shine.
4. In a bowl mix together the oil, vanilla essence.
5. In another bowl beat the palm sugar and eggs together till the mixture is nice and gooey. It will be golden in colour.
6. Add the oil and vanilla essence. Mix again.
7. In a food processor grind the prunes. Add to the mixture and mix well.
8. Finally add the melted chocolate and the seeds and give one quick stir.
9. Break up 100 grams of walnuts and add it to the mix.
10. Pour the Prune and chocolate mix into a well-greased baking tin you could add a few walnuts on top before you bake the cake. Bake for 25 minutes at 180 degree.
The cake might take 5+_ minutes depending on the oven and the cake tin used.
To serve: cut a nice fat wedge add a dollop of sugar-free ice cream and serve with fanned out strawberries.