How do you like your eggs done? For me it always depends on my mood. When I’m in a hurry it’s a quick sunny side up, if I’m bored out of my bones, it’s a savoury French Toast and when I want to make something exotic it’s either a Shakshuka or Eggs Benedict. But this Italian dish is quite a hit too. I load it up with so much cheese, that the end product is gooey and soft.
Frittata’s are actually nothing but eggs fried in a skillet. It’s very similar to an omelette, just that in this case, it’s not folded upon itself and is presented as a thick section of egg cake…if i could use the word. But this is also what makes it interesting as one can play with the toppings and make your dish as pretty to look at as it’s tasty to eat.
You can load your frittata up with chicken, pork, sausages, cheese and veggies. I’ve used a very basic recipe that uses potato and spinach and of course my favourite Feta
Time taken: 30 minutes
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
Skill level: basic
Equipment needed: Whisk, Skillet, Oven
- 6 eggs
- 100 ml milk
- 200 grams of cheese, I’ve used Feta
- 3 potatoes, boiled and cut into slices
- 2 bunches of spinach, blanched
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into rings
- 1 tablespoon of chives
- 1 tablespoon of olives
- Salt, pepper and paprika to taste
1. Start by greasing a skillet. Add a layer of chopped potatoes and wilted spinach. Sprinkle some feta over it and season with salt and pepper. The feta is salty so ensure you don’t use too much salt.
2. Add a second layer of the potato and spinach and keep building it up till you’ve reached 2/3rd the depth of the skillet.
3. Break the eggs in a bowl, add the milk and beat them up till frothy. Season it.
4. Slowly pour the egg mix over the potato and spinach mix till it’s completely covers the veggies.
5. Sprinkle some more feta all over.
6. Dress your dish with sliced red peppers, capers and olives.
7. Now you can cook this on a gas top in your skillet or place it in a pre heated oven at 180 degree Centigrade and cook for 20 minutes. I prefer to use the oven as it’s less stressful and doesn’t let the base burn.
Serve with a 7 Bean 5 Layer Salad
And Beer Bread