I must thank Pinterest for this recipe…the pictures of this gorgeously colourful recipe made me delirious with the need to just bite into these juicy bits of cheese. Sadly, it had no recipe. However, I now realise it doesn’t need one..its a simple assembly process that can be put together in 10 minutes! But it does need a bit of planning as the cheese needs to sit in those gorgeous liquids and flavours for at least 24 hours.
Mine sat over two nights, but one would have been better! This is a great starter to make for a party, for one it looks super exotic and secondly it takes no time and can be made 24 hours earlier. It’s actually so simple that kids can throw it together too and it could be something they contribute to the party.
We devoured on the Marinated Cottage Cheese as our dinner and teamed it with chicken paprika salami, some black forest ham, Brie and rye crackers. but you could choose to serve it as a stand alone dish too.
Time Taken: 24.5 hours (marination time of 24 hours)
Preparation Time: 20 minutes
Skill Level: Kid-friendly, basic
- 300 grams of fresh cottage cheese (you could use a mix of cottage and soft cheddar too, nothing to sharp or flavourful on its own)
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoon apple cider vinegar (extremely healthy, in fact i throw it into my every morning vegetable juice too)
- 3 tablespoon honey (I’ve used sugar-free honey)
- 1/2 cup parsley and dill, chopped
- 10 baby tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 cup mix of red and yellow bell peppers
- Salt, pepper and paprika to taste
1. Chop the cottage cheese into 1-inch cubes and place them in a deep dish, preferably glass (as the acid in the vinegar will react with anything metallic)
2. In a separate container, mix together the olive oil, honey and apple cider vinegar.
3. Add the chopped veggies to the oil mix.
4. Season with salt, pepper and paprika.
5. Pour the oil and veggie mix over the cottage cheese. Make sure every side of the cheese is covered with the oil mix.
6. The veggies may stay right on top, in that case take a spoon and push the parsley and dill into the oil.
7. Cover with cling film and refrigerate for 24 hours.
8. Remove from fridge, Lift the paneer out into a serving dish and pour the oil and veggies over it, Serve with crackers!