Yet another street food speciality of India, the Ragda Pattice sells for anything between Rs 30 to Rs 300 a plate depending on where you indulge yourself. But I must tell you, the crispiest pattice are sold by the roadside where the potatoes are seasoned with chillies and crisped up in hot oil. may be even tossed in flour before it hits the smoking oil which renders it its goodness.
The recipe is actually quite easy to assemble once you have all your ingredients and is perfect for a party when you encourage people to create their own tiny bites. The process of making the individual components though is time consuming.
So here’s how you start off
For the Ragda
- 1 cup white dried peas, soaked overnight
- 1 potato, cubed
- 1/2 teaspoon each turmeric powder, chilli powder, cumin-coriander powder
For the tempering
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 6 to 7 curry leaves
- a pinch asafoetida
- 1 teaspoon ginger-chillie paste
1. In a pan add oil, when the oil is hot add the tempering elements. Once the mustard starts to pop, add the soaked white peas and potato.
2. Let cook for 5 minutes add the powdered masalas.
3. Once the peas take on the colour add 2 to 3 cups of water and pressure cook for 20 minutes.
4. When cool smash the peas up, season with salt. and its ready to be served.
To make the Pattice
- 2 tablespoon cornflour
- 5 to 6 boiled potatoes
- 1 cup of a mixture made with 3 tablespoons of grated coconut, cup of 1/2 chopped mint leaves and coriander leaves, lemon juice, salt and ginger-chillie paste to taste.
- 1 teaspoon black salt
1. Grate the boiled potatoes and add salt, lemon and black salt to it. Mix well.
2. Make equal portions of the potato mix and of the coconut mixture.
3. Now take one potato and shape it into cup. Stuff it with 1/2 teaspoon of the filling and close it up again.
4. Coat the pattice with cornflour and fry it in hot oil till it is crisp on both sides.
- Place 2 pattice on a plate.
- Top with hot ragda.
- Add sliced onions and coriander on top.
- Serve with a dollop of sweet-sour chutney and slice of lemon.