My love for feta knows no bounds…and its such a versatile ingredient! Toss it with watermelon and basil and u have a superb fresh summer salad, mix it with peaches and bacon and you have a warm winter salad, bake it with dates and you have a mind blowing dish at hand…do I need to go on…
This salad has been designed by the dietician in me! It’s full if negative calories and fills you up just fine. I’ve used dried unsweetened cranberries, but caremalised walnuts are a perfect match for this salad.
Time taken: 20 minutes
Skill Level: Basic
- Any four greens. I’ve used arugula, iceberg, cabbage, scallions
- 10-12 leaves of fresh basil
- 1/2 red apple, cubed
- 1/2 green apple, cubed
- 1/2 red and yellow bell pepper
- 10-12 cherry tomatoes
- 10-12 cranberries
- 2 tablespoon mix of sunflower seeds, white and black sesame seeds and flax seeds
- 100 grams of feta
- 50 grams of fried bacon, without the fat (however this add on is optional. I just like the crunch. You could add any crisp of your choice)
For the marinade:
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar (again super super healthy)
- 2 tablespoons sugar free honey or sugar free maple syrup (for the diabetic version, you could add honey otherwise)
- 1 teaspoon a herb of your choice, I used oregano
- 1 tablespoon strong mustard, I’ve used home-made honey mustard
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon onions powder (you could use finely diced onion)
1. Mix and the greens, veggies and fruits together. This can be kept chilling for up to an hour in ice water. (Remember to drain all the water before the next step).
2. Arrange the mix in a serving dish.
3. Add the seeds, feta, Bacon (or whatever you are using for the crunch)
4. Top with coarsely ground caremalised walnuts or cranberries.
5. Mix the marinade and pour over the salad just before servin