This is one of my favourite sauces. Add it to a grilled chicken salad, fry onions in it for a sandwich or top it on chips or stuffed tacos…it lends flavour to any entrée.
If you are looking to jazz up this sauce a wee bit more, feel free to add some whisky or rum to it, giving yourself enough time to burn the alcohol off during the cooking process.
If you use dark brown sugar, you will get a darker shade of sauce.
If you use whole grain mustard, the sauce will be denser, but you can use English Mustard too. The best way to make a sauce is to keep tasting it, and making your notes as you add ingredients. Once you find the right proportions to tickle your taste buds, your recipe and variations with help you achieve the same product, time after time.
- 1 cup yellow mustard
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 3/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Cook all the ingredients together for 10 minutes.
- To add flavour you could add 50 ml whisky or dark rum of your choice and cook further for 10 minutes.