When I read this recipe thanks to Pinterest, I wasn’t quite sure how it would turn out. It had crackers, caramel, chocolate and almonds! Sounded delicious enough to try out, what i however didn’t expect is the completely blow-your-mind-out crunch, texture, taste and flavour. The salt from the biscuit base enhanced the flavours of the chocolate and the caramel added that perfect crunch! Truly an amazing find. Also make loads of these, they get wiped out faster than it takes to put them together.
I’m not too sure if you can call these cookie chocolates, or biscuit chocolates or just toffee, they are a combination of so many elements that one needs to create a name for them, till then I will just call them saltine toffee.
Makes: about 45 pieces
Total time: 30 minutes
Cooling time: minimum 10 mins
Prep time: 20 minutes
Baking time: 10 minutes
Skill Levels: Basic
Equipment needed: Microwave, oven and hot plate
- 45 salty biscuits (I’ve used Top because of the shape and salt content, you can use any square salty-buttery biscuit)
- 100 grams butter
- 1 cup tightly packed brown sugar
- 200 grams of tempered chocolate
- Handful of Gems or M&Ms
- 1/2 cup crushed roasted almonds
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
1 Line the biscuits in a baking tray, that been lined with baking paper.
2. Pre-heat the oven to 180 degree centigrade.
3. On a hot plate melt the butter and add the brown sugar and vanilla essence. Keep cooking till the sugar melts and forms a caramel.
4. Pour the caramel over the biscuit layer and spread it evenly. Do not worry about empty spaces as the caramel will melt and spread all over. Place it in the oven for about 7 to 10 minutes. Till the caramel gets a darkish tinge.
5. Temper the chocolate. Once its got a good shine. It’s ready for use.
6. When the caramel is ready, take it out of the oven and pour the hot chocolate over it, spreading it all across the caramel, you need to be really quick with this step.
7. Sprinkle the crushed roasted almonds all over the chocolate. And add a sprinkle of rushed M&Ms too.
8. Let this set in the fridge for 10-20 minutes.
9. Break the saltine toffee into large bite size pieces and serve.