I’ve decided in the year 2017 my blog is going to see at least one post every week and a lot of them are going to be vegetarian. The one complaint I often hear is the lack of vegetarian recipes, so that’s going to change. And yes it is going to be healthy, though this one sits on the edge. As always this recipe too is super easy and perfect for the wintery evenings, where you crave for something warm with your cup of tea. I made this hot creamy dip twice in a row–my X’mas Dinner night and for my New Year party! It’s festive in a way! With all its amazingly cheesy and fragrant aromas. What’s more it can be dressed with a lot more aplomb if you wish.
Since its vegetarian, am going to suggest some meaty garnishes here: fried crumbled bacon, smoked chicken, smoked fish are some variations I love.
Instead of buttered garlic toasts, you can also serve this dip with wedges of potato, cucumber, carrot, bell peppers, fried butter garlic prawns and even grilled chicken bites.
Here’s the basic recipe:
Time taken: 40 minutes
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Baking time: 20 minutes
Skill level: Basic
Serves: 12 adults
Equipment needed: Oven, baking dish
- 1 can (300 grams) Artichoke hearts (I’ve used Epicure bought at Nature’s Basket)
- 1 bunch washed and chopped spinach
- 1 onion, chopped fine and sauted in oil
- 200 ml Amul cream
- 100 grams Amul cheddar cheese (you can use gouda too)
- 100 grams Go pizza cheese
- 100 grams Brittania cream cheese (you can use Philadelphia cream cheese too)
- 1 tablespoon ginger-garlic paste
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Served with Garlic toasts from Camy Wafers (these make your life so simple, they are perfect for making bruschettas or serving with dips)
1. Grate the 3 cheeses. Drain and chop the artichoke hearts.
2. In a pan saute the spinach, onion and artichoke hearts with or without oil. Add the cream to this. Once the spinach has wilted add the cheese and mix till it all comes together.
3. Season with salt and pepper. (This dip can be made it advance and stored for a day or two at this stage.)
4. Heat the oven to 200 degree Centigrade. Line a baking dish with butter and pour the mix into it. Bake for 20 minutes at this temperature and then grill it for 5 mins at the same temperature to brown the top.
5. When bubbly and nicely browned serve with the toasts.