If you’re throwing a party and are stuck for ideas or not quite deft in the kitchen, make something quick and relatively easy that can charm your guests! This stuffed bread is often a charmer. I uses a hard bread, which is commonly known as Brun in India. And dipped into the various sauce bottles that are always lined up in my kitchen. All it needs us some cheeses, and fresh herbs and of course an oven.
There’s nothing complicated about this recipe. It requires at the most knife skills. The rest is as easy as open the bottle, scoop the contents out, apply liberally on the bread and cook it! It’s literally cooked in a jiffy!
Time taken: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 10 minutes
Skill Levels: basic
Equipment needed: oven
- 1 6-inch diameter Brun, you could use any other hard crusted bread of your choice. The harder it is the yummier the end product. I swear by the brun of City Bakery, Worli, Mumbai.
- 1/2 cup ready-made salsa or pizza spread (in case you don’t have it, a quick recipe follows)
- 1/8 cup olive oil
- 3 slices yellow cheddar cheese
- 3 slices of soft cheese slices
- 100 grams mozzarella
- handful chopped parsley
1. Place the bread on a chopping board. Use a sharp knife divide the bread into 8, 16 or 32 squares without letting the knife run to the base of the bread.
2. Slowly push apart the bread to reveal the spaces between the squares.
3. In a bowl mix together the oil and pizza sauce.
4. To make the sauce, in case you don’t have it ready or bottled you will need
- 1 teaspoon oil,
- 1 teaspoon of carom (ajwain) seeds,
- 2 finely chopped tomatoes and onions,
- 1 teaspoon oregano and
- 2 tablespoons tomato ketchup.
Cook all of it together till it is well blended. Season with salt, pepper and a wee bit of sugar. Let cool. And blitz. Taste and season again.
5. Use a teaspoon and start coating the insides of the squares with the oil and salsa mix. Make sure every bit of the breads inner is well coated.
6. Now break up the cheese slices and start arranging it in a straight line across the squares.
7. Scatter the broken parsley leaves over the top of the bread.
8. Finally crumble the mozzarella on top of the bread.
9. Bake the bread at 180 degrees for 3 minutes and then grill it at the same temperature for 5 minutes till the top is golden and the cheese gooey and well melted.
10. Serve the stuffed bread with a pizza sauce or as a bar snack!
- Bechamel sauce, Cheese, seafood (especially lobster or prawns)
- Cheese, Bacon, Sun dried tomatoes
- Coloured bell peppers, sausages, cheese