When I first read about this combination, I wrote it off as “eeks–cant be”. Then when I bought The Flavour Thesaurus and stumbled on various combinations that were supposed to be meant for each other, my thoughts were drawn to this recipe I had read a long time ago. I mean who in their right state of mind would combine spinach with strawberries and onion! But boy does it work…the textures, flavours literally play bursting bubbles with the taste buds.
Strawberry and Spinach Salad with toasted Almonds
- 1 bunch of spinach, blanched
- 15 to 20 strawberries, chopped lengthwise
- 2 tablespoons of sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
- 3 tablespoons cottage cheese or any soft cheese
- 1 tablespoon sugar or sugar free sachet
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion sliced and marinated in 1/2 cup white vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 cup roasted almonds, sliced thin
1. In a medium bowl, whisk together the sesame seeds, poppy seeds, sugar, olive oil, vinegar, paprika, Worcestershire sauce and onion. Cover, and chill for one hour.
2. In another large bowl, combine the blanched spinach and strawberries and chill.
3. Ten minutes before serving pour the dressing all over, toss and chill.
4. Just before serving, sprinkle the broken almonds and serve cold.