Here’s another all-time Diwali favourite. You know its kind of strange no matter how many times I think of making these savoury items during the year, the only time I actually get down to doing it, is during Diwali, when I find the time (I don’t know how) to put together 11 different high intensity cooking dishes, and yet it doesn’t tire me out.
This version of the recipe, is specifically designed for Diabetics and those on a diet. I made 1 kg of the chivda with just 1 tablespoon of oil. 🙂 What’s more its ideal to munch on when hunger pangs hit.
Oil Free Sugar Free Chivda
- 1 kg nylon poha
- 100 grams peanuts
- 100 grams dalia (like channa dal, not to be confused with broken wheat)
- 100 grams mixed dry fruits (almonds, raisins, cashew nuts)
- 6 to 7 sprigs of curry leaves
- 10 green chillies
- 50 grams dried coconut, cut into strips
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 teaspoon turmeric
1. In a pan add the oil and one by one roast all the ingredients except for the poha.
2. Take them out on a kitchen roll to drain the oil.
3. Place the nylon poha in a thick bottom pan and roast till it is pinkish in colour and reduced by half in size, about 15 minutes.
4. Add the salt, pepper and turmeric and saute further.
5. Add the other ingredients and mix well.
6. Place the entire mix on a kitchen roll to absorb any left over oil.
7. When cool, check the seasoning and add sugar free to get the right balance between sweet, salty and spice.
8. Store in an air-tight container. It will last for about 20 days.