So I’ve been bitten by the bug that takes everything sweet and adds a twist to it…blame it on my newly discovered lactose intolerance and acid reflux that makes consuming all those goodies with chocolate into a nightmare for the next five hours. And it doesn’t end there, the deal gets worse, I need to eat every few hours to keep my system safe from damaging itself! Thankfully fruits are my best friends and oats I love…so this recipe was actually designed to give all those 2-hour food habits I must inculcate something tasty to ruminate over!
This cake is healthy, has protein, oats, sun-dried tomatoes, jalapenos, capers and basically lots of little bottled things that were in the fridge and demanded to be consumed before its expiry date. By which I mean, don’t let the recipe straight-jacket your creativity. There is no patented recipe for cakes and there should be none for savoury cakes either. And my veggie friends, the recipe for the dill, smoked tomatoes and feta muffins can be doubled up to make a cake. Or you can just substitute the parsley for spinach and the smoked chicken for a mix of soaked soya nuggets and cottage cheese. Don’t alter the proportions for the rest of the ingredients, your cake will turn out just perfect.
Time taken: 1 hour
Cooking time: 45 minutes
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Skill level: Basic
Equipment Needed: 8×10 inch cake tin, hand-held mixer and oven.
- 1 cup finely chopped parsley
- 2 cups finely cubed chicken breasts
- 1/2 cup finely chopped smoked tomatoes
- 1 cup crumbled feta
- 1 tablespoon capers
- 8-10 jalapeños, diced fine
- 100 grams butter
- 1 1/2 cup oats
- 1 1/2 cup flour
- 2 egg
- 2 cup yoghurt
- 2 tablespoon baking powder
- Salt and freshly crushed pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon paprika powder or chilli flakes
- Parmesan cheese to sprinkle on top
1. Pre heat your oven to 200 degrees.
2. Beat the butter and eggs together. Then add the yoghurt and combine well till top is covered with bubbles.
3. Mix in the flour, oats and baking powder. Use a fork to mix it into the wet mix.
4. In another bowl combine the parsley, smoked tomato, smoked chicken and add it to the egg and flour mix.
5. Do not over mix. Add the feta. Mix lightly.
6. Grease your 8×10 cake tin and pour the cake batter into the greased pan. Sprinkle the Parmesan cheese on top. Bake for 40 minutes.
7. Serve cold or at room temperature.