EGGS! As children my sis and me were travelling by train, going back home after a weary day of shopping with my parents. Mom asked us the quintessential questions. “What do you want for dinner.” While I rolled my eyes into space with a “not again” look on my face by three-year-old sis, who had just started to spell said “E-G”. “E-G,” asked mom, what is that? The conversation went back and forth a couple of times, before my little sis lost it and started to cry. It was a long day, she had bought herself a couple of awesome toys and was on top of the world, and how could her mom not know spellings, must have been the thought running through her mind. She poked me in the ribs, pulled me down and said, “Ma doesn’t know spellings. I want eggs. Will you make me some.” I smiled and hugged her. It was our secret, Ma doesn’t know spellings. Not once did I try to correct her to break her heart. Ever since EG has always been our joke after a weary day! Sure enough the protein loaded eggs, is the way to go after a weary day.
There are a hundred and more egg recipes floating around. They can be used for dessert, starters, main course and of course dessert. Most homes cook an egg a day. They are the favourite breakfast ingredient and yet cooking simple fried eggs was made into a Masterchef Challenge, how challenging is that! Though i love soft-boiled eggs with cheesy soldiers, my husband who is a diabetic stays away from the yellows, so it’s always egg white omelette for him!
Cooking egg whites is actually quite simple, but how do you make a breakfast with egg whites, one that you look forward to every day…now that’s the challenge. This recipe is perfect for lazy weekend breakfast or even a brunch. You can team the sausages with the eggs, or even serve them with a mixed-grill platter or fried eggs. They can also be guffed on their own as a starter. Try it, its simple.
- 6 egg whites
- 1 onion, sliced fine
- 1 capsicum, sliced fine
- 2 teaspoons sweet chillie sauce
- 2 teaspoons barbecue sauce
- 1 packet of Zorabian Onion and Cheese Sausages, available at most cold storages, sliced
- 2 tablespoons of a mix of red, green and yellow bell pepper, diced fine
- 1 slice of cheese (optional)
- Salt and Pepper to taste
1. In a thick bottomed pan, add a teaspoon of olive oil. Saute the onions till golden.
2. Add the capsicum and saute for 2 to 3 minutes.
3. Add the sliced sausages and cook on a low heat till the sausages are cooked.
4. Add the barbecue and sweet chillie sauce. Cook till the veggies and meat gets a glazed shine. Set aside.
5. Break the eggs and separate the yellow from the white. Beat the white up with some salt and pepper till it is fluffy.
6. In a frying pan add some olive oil. when it’s really hot, add the egg mix. Cover and cook. When the underside is done, flip, cover and cook. The edges of the egg should start rising to create a cavity in the centre. Place the cheese slice and the sausage mix. And sprinkle the chopped coloured bell peppers on it. Keep the eggs covered.
7. Just before serving, slide the egg white bowl on to a plate and serve immediately. The egg bowl will lose height within 30 seconds, so its essential to serve this dish immediately.
8. Enjoy with some mashed, grilled or jacket potatoes and a toast.