I love a colourful plate of goodies to nibble on along with my meats and what better than a nice crunchy plate of a salad. As you must have guessed peaches are my favourite fruits. This year I’ve used them in smoothies, in a cheesecake and even in a trifle. There’s something about this crunchy, sweet and sour fruit that makes it a perfect combination with a lot of textures, flavours and aromas.
This recipe can be tossed together in less than 5 minutes. What’s more I’ve used a really, and I mean really simple marinade to string the flavours together.
I actually started off the morning hoping to make bacon wrapped peach, arugula and feta pockets, but my search for good quality bacon came to a halt when I didn’t find my favourite smoked back bacon. I decided to move to plan B, a simple crunchy salad to go with my veg packed au gratin.
- 4 peaches, skinned, cut into quarters and sliced thin
- 1 onion, sliced and marinated with apple cider vinegar
- 1 bowl full of mixed greens. I’ve used fresh parsley, arugula and iceberg lettuce
- 50 grams of feta, crumbled
- 1 tablespoon of Red Pepper Jam from Pico
- 1/4 cup for fresh orange juice
- Salt and freshly cracked pepper to taste
1. In a flat dish, arrange a mix of the seasoned greens.
2. Add a layer of the pickled onions.
3. Top this with the fresh peach, and sprinkle feta all over it.
4. Just before you serve the salad, pour the marinade all over it. Crack some black pepper.
5. Best served with a creamy au gratin or grilled meats and fish. The spice from the Red Pepper Jam, the saltiness of the feta, the crunch of the greens and the sweet-sour peach, makes it a perfect accompaniment for most grilled dishes, au gratin or even a Cheese Souffle.