I love fried chicken, especially the ones that are served at fast food counters. Dipped in batter and deep-fried in hot oil till the chicken skin is crispy and delicious. OMG! just the thought makes me drool.
Sadly my waist line loves the oil a lot more than I do and all these goodies aren’t even available on a once in a blue moon package deal anymore. That’s when I discovered a healthier diet-friendly option. The chicken is pan-fried or baked (almost oil free) and what’s more since the chicken is marinated in buttermilk it deliciously melts-in-the-mouth.
Time taken: 1hr 30 minutes
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Marination time: 1 hour
Cooking time: 20 minutes
Skill level: Basic
Equipment needed: Whisk, Skillet, Oven
Parmesan Crispy Grilled Chicken
- 2 chicken breasts, de-boned and tenderised
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon rosemary
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped fine
- 100 ml buttermilk (in case you don’t make yoghurt at home, take 100 ml of milk add a squeeze of lime and use it in 10 minutes.
- 50 grams parmesan cheese
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoon bread crumb or potato flakes (dehydrated potatoes. In India , its available as Vegit’s Aloo mash)
- Salt, coarsely ground pepper and paprika to taste
1. Soak the tenderised chicken in the buttermilk. Add half the chopped garlic, thyme and rosemary to the buttermilk. Let it marinate for at least an hour. If you have the time, you could keep it marinating for up to 8 hours.
2. Drain the chicken out.
3. Take 2 bowls. In the first one crack the egg and add seasoning. In the second one, add the bread crumbs or potato flakes, the parmesan cheese, the second half of the garlic, thyme and rosemary.
4. Now dip the chicken in the egg mix and then in the dry mix.
5. You could either place the chicken on a baking dish or on a skillet. I’ve cooked it on a skillet. If baking cook it for 20 minutes at 200 degree centigrade. Change sides at about 12 minutes to cook and brown both sides.
6. If cooking on a gas top, add a glob of butter when the chicken is half way done. This helps the chicken acquire a crispy exterior. Cook for 5-7 minutes on each side.
7. Remove from heat when the chicken has acquired a golden glow on both sides. Serve hot.
Sweet Potato and Pomegranate Salad