Which kid doesn’t like a cookie? As a kid, the only reason I would reach for that glass of milk was for that delicious cookie that came with it! However, things are different today, people have become a lot more aware of what they are eating by adopting healthy living, but are kids missing out on the goodies. Here’s a brookie, a combination of a cookie and brownie, that’s amazingly delicious, healthy and easy to make.
From prep to baking time, it takes all of 30 minutes. And it’s made with absolutely no added sugars and is gluten- and lactose-free.
I’ve always maintained that everything that comes out of a packet, may not be healthy for you. I also try to limit the amount of sugar and oil, the family consumes. Simple things go a long way, and making these tiny changes in your diet, can only help in the long run.
These brookies (a combination of a cookie and brownie) are absolutely delicious. They are chunky, filling, chocolatey, crispy and above all yummy! This mix makes yummy cookies too. I’ve cooked the brookies for 20 minutes at 180 degree C, and made them quite chunky, as that’s the way I like it.
The chocolate sauce on top and Gems is not just for effect, the chocolate adds to the sweetness and Gems, the crunch. Yes, it’s also eye candy! 🙂
BANANA, PEANUT BUTTER AND OATS BROOKIES
Makes 8 Brookies or 16 Cookies
- 1 cup oats flour (I make mine at home, you can process oats in a food processor too)
- 1 cup banana paste (3 really soft bananas, the blacker the skin the better, smashed up)
- 1/4 cup chunky peanut butter (please make it at home to avoid excess oil and sugar. You can also use any other nut butter)
- 2 tablespoons kakvi (available at an organic store) or honey
- 16 cranberries
- 1 packet Gems or M&Ms
- 1/2 cup tempered chocolate (I use anything above 70% Cacao)
- Pre-heat the oven to 180 degree C.
2. In a bowl combine the oats flour, banana paste, peanut butter and kakvi or honey.
3. Place a baking paper on a tray and add 8 loaded tablespoons or 16 loaded teaspoons of mix on it, leaving enough space between each mound. If you are making cookies, flatten the mix with a wet spoon to create cookies of 2-inch diameter.
4. Place 1 to 2 cranberry on each and bake for 20 minutes, till the edges are crisp and golden. Timing will vary from oven to oven and the thickness of your cookie/ brookie.
5. Remove and place on a cooling tray till they harden up. Brookies will have crisp edges and a soft and denser centre.
6. When cooled, add tempered chocolate to garnish and enhance taste and use some chocolate to stick a Gem on each piece.
7. Store in airtight container once set.
- Oats are considered amongst the healthiest grains on Earth
- They are gluten-free, whole grain, full of important vitamins, minerals like Manganese, Magnesium, Phosphorus, Copper, Iron, Zinc, Folate, fibre and antioxidants
- It keeps you full for a longer time and is low in calories
- Research has proven that it reduces the risk of childhood asthma
- It prevents constipation