Kale….it’s the new wonder green… The markets are going crazy with kale crisps, kale chips, kale and green apple juice and whatever you have next! It’s nutritional properties tick all the right boxes, Vitamin A, C, K, B1, B2, B3, B6.
And its supposed to keep away 6 forms of cancer! For someone who has lost a piece of their heart to this insatiable ailment, I would recommend kale with my eyes closed! To add to its properties, it is good for diabetics too! Yup you will always find kale in my fridge!
I’ve tried a couple of kale recipes, sometimes is a clear soup with mushroom and egg whites, with bottle gourd and tomatoes, in salads and as I was surfing across for some more palate friendly recipes I came across this one. I was amazed at how the leaves texture changed with a little elbow grease.
The recipe called for one cup of golden raisins which I of course reduced to fit in with our diet demands. But if you have so such restrictions go ahead and experiment. You can also add some apples, preferably the green variety as they are healthier, and some feta to add a yummier twist. Oranges would go well and would peaches. But here’s the basic recipe
Time taken: 20 minutes
Skill Level: Basic
- 1 packet fresh kale
- 1/2 cup almonds, roasted and crushed
- 1/4 cup golden raisins
- 2 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste.
1. Wash the kale and keep aside to drain. If it has any thick veins, trim them off.
2. Mix the lemon juice with the olive oil.
3. Rub half the quantity of the lemon juice olive oil mixture into the kale.
4. You will need to use both your hands to do this. The leaves will turn a darker shade of green. Add the salt and pepper and cool till needed.
5. Just before serving add the remaining vinaigrette, and nuts and raisins. Serve chilled.