I love desserts. And I like them even better if they are easy to make and come with fresh ingredients–something I’ve learnt to indulge in post my die-hard fascination for MasterChef. Yeah I am a sucker for food shows and to meet Gordon Ramsay stands very high on my Bucket List. But till then I am happy to devour every cookbook of his and lay my hands on every recipe he has published. He seems to have the right knack of simplifying the most horrendously tricky procedures and making it super simple! But enough about my gushing love for him…
This is not one of his recipes, but is a version of Martha Stewart’s creation. And what I like about it, is its simplicity. My first restaurant, Skie Grille, in Utorda Goa was all about food off the grill, may be that’s why this recipe is close to my heart. Or may be it’s just the ease in creating it–all it takes is 5 minutes and can be made with ingredients found in every pantry.
Grilled Cinnamon Plums with Mascarpone Cheese
Time: 5 minutes
- 2 plums
- 100 grams mascarpone cheese
- 2 teaspoons honey (avoid for diabetics)
- 2 tablespoons sugarfree (can be made using sugar too)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon powder
- 400 ml orange juice
- 4 tablespoons orange liqueur of your choice ( I prefer Cointreau or Grand Marnier)
- Sprig of mint
1. Halve the plums and pit them
2. Grill the plum on the grilling pan placing the pitted side on the grill.
3. Grill for 3 to 4 minutes till the grill marks are visible.
4. Turn over and grill the skin side for 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from grill and cool.
5. Mix together the mascarpone cheese, half the cinnamon powder and sugarfree and cool it.
6. Reduce the orange juice and liqueur together till it is of a thick syrup consistency.
To plate up: Top a scoop of the mascarpone cheese mix on the grilled plum. Place it on a white plate. Drizzle the honey on it and top with the remaining cinnamon powder. Place a mint leaf in the centre of each plum. Pour the orange juice reduction over and around the plums.