Now this is a dish I can devour, no matter when it’s made. It’s simple, rustic and packed with flavours and has all my favourite ingredients. What’s more it gets put together in a jiffy and looks exotic even if it is served with a simple salad like the Sweet Potato, mint and Pomegranate Salad listed here. I’ve added a recipe for Gucamole, just to get the entree, rich in vitamin C.
My fridge is usually stocked with chicken breasts, its one of the easiest and most easily accessible protein element. This pepperoni came all the way from Germany, the last bit of our shopping and to add to my pleasure I had some mozzarella cheese again from Amsterdam. I love travelling only because I get to eat foods of the world and bring back home flavours I love to experiment with.
This is a rather simple recipe and requires almost no prep work, that is not including the salad and other accompaniments. I usually serve this salad with guacamole and a sweet potato, mint and pomegranate salad
- 2 chicken breasts, sliced horizontally
- 1 tablespoon of dried parsley mixed with paprika and pepper.
- 2 tablespoons of mozzarella cheese, (if you don’t have this you could use any other cheese or even a cheese slice)
- 8 slices of pepperoni
- Marinate the chicken breast with the parsley, paprika and pepper mix. Add salt to taste too.
- Place the pepperoni slices inside the chicken pocket (at least 4 per breast) and top with cheese. Close the pocket.
- Now you could either grill the chicken breast or bake it. If you bake it ensure you coat the chicken with panko crumbs
- When the chicken is well cooked and browned, about 10 minutes of on one side and 8 on the other) take it off the flame and let it rest.
- Serve with a salad.
Sweet Potato, Mint and Pomegranate Salad
- 2 sweet potato
- 1 cup mint leaves
- 1/2 cup pomegranate pearls
- Boil and skin the sweet potato. Chop it into 1/2 inch chunks.
- Season it with lemon juice, salt, pepper and paprika
- Add chopped mint leaves to it and mix well.
- Sprinkle pomegranate seeds and serve as an accompaniment to any protein, like a steak or burger or even ribs.
- 2 ripe avacadoes
- 1 cup of chopped green red, yellow bell peppers
- 1/2 cup chopped red onions
- 1/4 cup chopped tomatoes
- 1/2 cup chopped mint and parsley leaves
- 2 pods of garlic paste
- seasoning: paprika, salt, pepper to taste
- 1 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- In a large bowl place the scooped avocado pulp and lime juice, toss to coat.
- Using a potato masher mash the pulp and add the salt, cumin, garlic and paprika.
- Then, fold in the onions, tomatoes, bell peppers and the green.
- Add 1 tablespoon of the reserved lime juice.
- Cool for an hour before you serve.
- Guacamole can be served with any grilled food. It goes fabulously with fish