I love drama on a plate which is probably why I love Masterchef with Gordon Ramsay. And when I manage to create a plate that doles of oodles of love and gets the camera snapping, I am beside myself with pride. Cooking at home is so easy, if you just let your imagination run wild. Boiled eggs can never be boring, but they are just ingredients, convert them into a stunner by using this simple process. Boil. Crack. Dip. Boil. Peel! Viola! You have a stunner.
Eggs are such a dynamic piece of protein, you can add them to a salad, or even stir them up into a curry or make a beautiful breakfast with Eggs Benedict or a fluffy egg white omelette, use them in your cakes and bakes and breads or let them stand alone as a super delicious, finger licking starter. That’s what I did. I love boiled eggs, but this meal had to be different. It had to be one of those blow your mind away meals that takes like 30 minutes to put together!
I took 40, but i went overboard as always and threw in 4 other things! With me that’s normal.
Time Taken: 1 hour
Cooking time: 25 minutes
Skill level: Basic
Equipment needed: Basic pot
- 4 eggs
- 1/4 cup cream cheese
- 2 teaspoons capers
- 2 sausages
- 1 teaspoon red food colour
- 2 tablespoons red chilli jam
1. Boil the eggs for 20 minutes.
2. Remove from the heat and place the eggs on a kitchen towel. Do not throw the water away. Use the back of a tablespoon to crack the eggs. Ensure the shell is cracked on all sides but doesn’t peel off.
3. Add the red food colour to the water the eggs were boiling in and place the eggs back in the water. Boil for another 5 minutes. Take it off the flame but let the eggs stand in the water.
4. Shell the eggs. They would have developed a pattern under the shell.
5. Cut the eggs into half and remove the yolk. I do not use the yolk in my filling, but you are free to do so.
6. For the stuffing: Cook the sausages and cut 6 rounds out of one end. The rest of the sausage can be cut into tiny pieces and mixed with cream cheese, red chilli jam and capers.
7. Stuff the cavity in the eggs with this mix, add a sausage slice and caper to garnish it. Cool.
Serve it with:
- Baked Mushrooms
- Stir Fried Veggies
- Crispy Cheese Bake