A few years ago I made my first savoury cake as a guest chef at a cafe on the outskirts of Mumbai. We piled it up with spaghetti and served it cut into wedges with sauce drizzled all over. Post that the savoury cake obsession died down till I discovered Savoury Muffins.
They are the perfect tea-time treat, combine it with the spice and veggie of your choice and you have a herby delicious healthy bite.
I’ve used smoked tomatoes, but a lot of friends didn’t manage to find this particular ingredient, you can substitute it with sun-dried tomatoes that are easily available. If you are not concerned about the extra oil it may add to the dish, you can go with the bottled versions where the tomatoes swim in olive oil. Or else opt for the dry version.
What’s more you can try varied combinations to cook a muffin on your choice. You can substitute milk with yoghurt, dill with herbs like parsley or oregano and add meats and mince. I plan to make a ham, cheese and rosemary next!
Having made this muffin, as I was writing the recipe, I thought of a glorious way to dressing it up further. Hollow it out, fill it in with marinara sauce and pipe cream cheese on it, with a sprinkle of chilli flakes and Himalayan sea salt. Can you picture it? I can. I will need to bake a fresh set of muffins for the photo shoot…:)
Time taken: 45 mins
Cooking time: 20 minutes
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Skill level: Basic
Equipment Needed: Oven, Hand mixer
- 1 cup chopped dill
- 1/4 cup chopped smoked tomatoes
- 3/4 cup crumbled feta
- 50 grams butter
- 3/4 cup oats
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1 egg
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- Salt and freshly crushed pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon Parmesan cheese
1. Pre heat your oven to 200 degrees.
2. Beat the butter and eggs together. Then add milk and combine well till top is covered with bubbles.
3. Mix in the flour, oats and baking powder. Use a fork to mix it into the wet mix.
4. In another bowl combine the dill, smoked tomato and add it to the egg and flour mix.
Do not over mix. Add the feta. Mix lightly.
5. Grease a muffin tray and line it. Add 2 tablespoons of the mix in each muffin liner.
Sprinkle the Parmesan cheese on top.
6. Bake for 20 minutes.
7. Serve warm or at room temperature.