These Freakshakes were invented in a little bakery and cafe called Patissez in Canberra, Australia and since then they shaken up the world of food and the Internet. The Freakshake is a wild combination of flavours and textures. They are supposed to be messy, indulgent, flowing out of the mason jar and filled with delicacies like Nutella, pretzels, salted caramel, brownies and loads and loads of cream.
This was my first Freakshake and I guess I was a little more sophisticated that I should have been and the Freakshake turned out a little cuter than it should have. This one needs to scream messy, mine stopped at OMG! what is that monster. 🙂
Go ahead and make your combination and permutations, just remember the 4 basics, something crispy, something gooey, something creamy and loads of liquids, it is a milkshake after all.
Time taken: 15 minutes
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Skill level: Basic
Equipment needed: Whisk, Mason Jar, Oven
- 3 cups cream (I’ve used pre-sweetened non dairy cream)
- 1 teaspoon each raspberry and vanilla flavouring
- 1 tablespoon chocolate powder
- 5 drops each pink and green colour organic food colouring
- 10 tablespoons thick chocolate sauce
- 1 cup vanilla icecream
- 4-5 marshmallows
- 2 wafer biscuits–strawberry flavour
- 100 ml almond milk/ or a milk of your choice
1. In a bowl blitz 1 cup of cream with the raspberry flavour and pink colour till it has soft peaks. I have used pre sweetened non-dairy cream and thus didn’t need to sweeten the cream. If you’re using full fat cream, use 2 tablespoons of sugar per cup of cream.
2. In a second bowl blitz the cream with the vanilla flavour and green colour till it has soft peaks.
3. In a third bowl, blitz the cream with the chocolate powder.
4. Take a mason jar and create an uneven thick chocolate sauce circle across the centre of the mason jar.
5. Fill your coloured and flavoured creams into 3 piping bags. Pipe the cream into the mason jar to create three blocks of coloured cream.
6. Drop your vanilla ice cream on top.
7. Pour half the chocolate sauce on top.
8. Pipe a second layer of creams on top of the chocolate sauce.
9. Toast the marshmallows in an oven at 180 degrees for 5 minutes or until they are roasted. Cut them up into smaller 1cmx1cm squares.
10. Slice the wafer biscuits into finger size lengths.
11. Pour the almond milk into the mason jar. As the cream is lighter it will start floating out of the jar.
12. Now insert the wafer biscuits into the jar and the frothy top and balance the marshmallows on them and around the cream.
13. Push a straw through the Freakshake and serve it.
Peanutbutter and Nutella Twisted Pie