Heavenly. Chewy, dense, chocolatey. Have them with milk, coffee or even green tea. No actually they need no accompaniments. And no friends. You will not want to part with these golden discs of delight. They just need to be devoured. By my own admission, I’ve never had a Chocolate Chip Cookie that’s so crisp and I am delighted to share the recipe with you guys.
This is what I make when I’m bored at home. I knew we would be visiting a very close friend over the weekend and what better gift would you give little girls than chocolate chip cookies! And this one sure had a sweet tooth. I’ve often experimented with my cookies and created lemon and basil cookies, date and walnut cookies with gluten-free flour (yup that’s going to be up soon), bacon and carrot cookies and whatever else the imagination can stir up. But these cookies, they are religion. You can’t mess with them.
Ok I must confess, I ran out of brown sugar so added pancake syrup. Innovation, I tell you!
Time taken: 1 hour
Preparation time: 45 minutes
Baking time: 15 minutes
Serves 4 (2 each)
Skill level: basic
Equipment needed: Whisk, Deep dish, Oven
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 cup almond flour (if you wish you can avoid this and use 1 cup of all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup fine sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar or 1/4 cup pancake syrup
- 1/2 cup butter (I’ve used olive oil)
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- Pinch of salt (omit if using salted butter)
1.Sieve the flour with the baking soda and then add the almond flour and salt.
2. Add the butter or oil and sugar and whisk the flour till it comes together. I’ve used a hand-held whisk, but you could use a k-beater too.
3. When the ingredients are well mixed add the chocolate chips.
4. Now if you’re working in a cool kitchen you may not need to refrigerate the dough. Otherwise cool it for 20 minutes.
5. Shape the dough into 2-inch large balls (you can make them smaller too) and flatten them just a bit. Place them an inch away from each other on a butter-paper lined baking tray. (I ran out of baking paper and used foil instead) Make sure you have some chocolate chips on the top.
6. Bake the cookies in a pre-heated oven at 180 degree centigrade for 15 minutes. The outside edges should be brown and the centre should have just started to gain some colour.
7. Take them out of the pan and let them cool on a wire rack. Store once cooled in an air tight container.
Blueberry Chia Seed Smoothie