I was supposed to make some energy bars to help me tide through the horrible, horrible summer. Wouldn’t life be easier if all you needed to do was unwrap a home-made bar and chomp on it for breakfast, lunch and dinner…no sweating it out at all! But that was not to be… All my chopped, stirred, melted ingredients found their way into this gorgeous, chunky, chewy, chocolatey, peanut buttery, nutty brownie!
When I was looking for brownie recipes I of course looked through the usual links of tastyquery, allrecipes, Martha Stewart and others, but I found this one rather interesting. http://www.laurafuentes.com/yummy-healthy-fudgy-chunky-chocolate-brownies. My recipe has been inspired by this one!
Time taken: 1 hour
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 40 minutes
Skill level: Basic
Serves: 8 adults
Equipment needed: Oven, 8×6 inch Cake tin, Beater
- ½ cup gluten-free flour
- ¾ cup unsweetened cocoa powder (I’ve used Hershey’s)
- 1 cup Kimia date puree (about 15 dates. Kimia is soft and easy to blend without too much water)
- ½ cup prune chopped fine
- ½ cup walnuts chopped coarse (you can also used almonds)
- ¼ cup coconut oil
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup peanut butter
- ¼ cup Nutella
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoon vanilla essence (you can also used almond or walnut or rum essence)
- 200 grams of dark sugar-free chocolate, tempered
1. Pre-heat your oven to 200 degree C. Line your baking tray with baking paper. To ensure the ends of the baking paper don’t bend inwards brush the ends with butter and then stick it to the pan.
2. Separate the eggs. Beat the white to stiff peaks. Combine the vanilla essence with the yolks and beat it.
3. Break the chocolate into small pieces and temper it. Leave it aside in a warm place.
4. Melt Nutella and peanut butter separately and keep aside
5. Roast the almonds or walnuts and keep aside. (You may or may not roast the nuts, but i think roasting adds flavour).
6. Now in a deep pan start mixing the brownie mix together. Combine the cocoa powder, flour.
7. In another bowl combine the prunes, date puree, eggs yellows, brown sugar, tempered dark chocolate and coconut oil.
8. Stir the flour mix with the wet mix till it’s just combined. Do not over mix. Now add in the egg white and fold. Add the roasted walnuts.
9. Spread the brownie mix in the prepared pan. Spread the melted peanut butter on top and then top it with Nutella.
10. Bake the brownie for 35 minutes. I like them fudgy so usually pull them out when the outer edges look done but centre is still soft to touch.
11. Cool them and cut them into pieces as per your choice.